River Edge Fire Department

 River Edge Fire Company #2 was established in 1904. A wagon which could carry a hose was bought in 1905 and a resident loaned his horses to draw the wagon during fire calls. The wagon was housed in Willie's Barn on Grand Ave. until 1909 when the fireman sponsored a carnival to build a firehouse for Company #2, which later became Jim's Grill. However, the first motorized equipment was not bought until November 1926. The vehicle was a red chemical unit with hose. There was no pump. In 1939 a second pumper truck was purchased for Company #2. This apparatus was a 1939 Ahrens Fox Model VC which had a 500 Gallon Per Minute (G.P.M.) pump and a 150 gallon water tank.

In 1940 a new firehouse was built in the south end of River Edge and is the current firehouse. An addition was built in 1950 and added room for a second engine, a social room with a kitchen and the tool room.  In 1955 an Ahrens Fox 750 G.P.M. 3-stage pumper with a 500 gallon water tank was purchased. This truck is now housed in the New York State Fire Museum in Hudson, NY.  In 1960, the Fire house was completed with room for three pieces of apparatus. In 1975 a 1500 G.P.M. Seagrave with a 2-stage pump was purchased. This pumper had a 500 gallon water tank. This truck is currently being used in New York State. The members of Company #2 dedicated our house in honor of Nona B. Thompson in 1995, in order that we may remember her many years of dedicated service to the men & women of our department. 

Station 2 currently houses Engine 2, Engine 4, Rescue 1, the Antique Engine 2, Marine 1, and Marine 2 boat units.